Monday, December 20, 2010

Dairy


Dairy is important for calcium and vitamin D. Here are some good low calories sources that I use:

This brand of Almond milk has 40 calories per cup and tastes great. I always have it in my fridge for smoothies or for my oatmeal. It is fortified with calcium and great for people who are lactose intolerant and want another option to soy. Overall, it is the lowest calorie option of milks out there and my favorite one.

These are a life saver if you are having a cheese craving at only 35 calories per slice and really satisfying.

This cheese has 45 calories per 1/4 cup or 22.5 calories per 1/8 cup. I usually use 1/8 cup which seems to be enough for my sprinkling over anything like eggs or hots or salad.

These brands work well for low calorie yogurts. Light Yoplait has about 100 calories per cup and comes in a vast variety of flavors. I was surprised Light and Fit actually tasted good at only 80 calories per large cup. They are great with some crumbled rice crackers, crumbled fiber one cereal, or crumbled pretzel pieces: all of which are lower in calories than granola.

Low fat cottage cheese has 100 calories per 1/2 cup. As the yogurt, its best served with some crumbled pretzel pieces for crunch which are lower in calories than nuts. I also toss in some stevia and chopped fruit to sweeten it up and give it color.

No comments:

Post a Comment